In preparation for moving I am, of course, doing a gigantic inventory of my things. Mostly I am deciding what to trash, to donate, to sell, or to leave behind. I’ve done this before, but this time it’s deadly serious because I have to consider whether I am willing to cart something across the country in what is sure to be a very tightly packed car. During this purge I have found myself opening boxes and looking at things I own and saying out loud, “Why do I even OWN that??”
This post is a chronicle of those things.
- A throw pillow with the Hogwarts crest. I’m keeping this, obviously, but I don’t know how or why I have it.
- Three pairs of gloves. I feel like I should remind you that I live in Florida and am moving to Nevada.
- A notebook full of glued in magazine clippings of Plus One. A video blog about this happened.
- All of my old belts from Tae Kwon Do. Yeah, the black belt is important, but why did I keep my purple belt again?
- A metric ton of notebooks. At least 20. Seriously, why do I have so many notebooks?
- A collection of music note Christmas ornaments. I’m reasonably sure I was given these by my piano teacher in elementary school?
- The fancy placard with my name on it from my office job. This was promptly broken and thrown away. I took it with me when I quit sort of as an act of defiance (even though they were just going to trash it too… shh, don’t question my rebellion), not because it was sentimental.
- A dictionary. Who even uses a physical dictionary anymore?
- A few yards of sparkly black fabric. I stole this from my mom and forgot I kept it. It was a backdrop for a video I made… three years ago?
- A 50 state quarter collection. Remember when a complete collection was eventually going to be worth something? Me neither.
This doesn’t even count clothes I’ve held on to that haven’t fit since high school (high school was 7 years ago, self) and shoes that I keep telling myself I’ll wear again someday and then never do.
Well, so long, garbage bags and donation boxes. I hope you have a lovely trip. I certainly will.